Monday, November 26, 2007

Outside Reading- Week 2- Post B

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Section 2: pages 64- 114

Reaction: Honesty is always the answer. But somehow, it is rarely the response. In pages 109-110 as Owen, a giant who has the reputation as a tough guy, drives Annabel home from school after she had had a rough day, Annabel realizes that he is not as scary as he is made out to be. Actually, she finds him fascinating. Even more so when he claims that he never lies, as she herself cannot help but to lie. So many people in the world continually lie. It is probably our worst habit. Although everyone knows it is not right, it is inevitable. It seems to be the easy way out at the moment, but in the long scheme of events, it becomes complicated; instead of its immediate effect of relaxing a person, lying will always end up hurting people more than helping them. I, myself, try my hardest to remain a completely honest person, and most of the time, I am. But sometimes, I just can’t bear to tell the truth, especially about my feelings. I sometimes force myself to be happy and cheery when in reality, I feel just the opposite. Although it may help me in situations where being sad or tired makes me out to be a party pooper, at the end of the day, I will still be sad or tired, but also angry because I would not let myself purge my true emotions. This realization makes me wonder that if the world could commit to being honest to others and themselves, how much easier our lives could be lived.

No comments: