Sunday, November 11, 2007

Outside Reading- Week 1- Post A

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Section 1: Pages 1-63

Vocabulary

Encroaching (p. 5)- to encroach: intr. v.
1. To take another's possessions or rights gradually or stealthily.
2. To advance beyond proper or former limits.
Example from the book: Any space around her was her personal space; just by existing, you were encroaching.
My example: At night, they liked to encroach on neighbors’ land for fun.

Indignant (p. 46)- adj.
Feeling, characterized by, or expressing strong displeasure at something considered unjust, offensive, insulting, or base.
Example from the book: I could hear my father’s low tones, my mom’s higher ones, and the occasional indignant shift in tone from Kirsten.
My example: I kept an indignant expression on my face as my friend was credited for the work I did.

Quote

“As different as my family was that night it all began from what we appeared to be- the five of us, a happy family, sharing a meal in our glass house- to anyone in a car passing by on the road outside, looking in" (63).
As normal as any family, such as the Greenes, may look and seem, there are always thick pages beyond the cover. In this particular chapter, the family had gone through the crisis of a daughter, or a sister, being taken over by her eating disorder. As serious as the situation must have been, the Greenes tried to remain calm and collected; some even in denial of the terrible thing happening before their eyes: Whitney was disappearing to death. The family often exchanged glances of fear and of sorrow, but rarely got into audible heated debate. From the outside looking in, they seemed to be a perfect family eating dinner. This really goes to show the saying that you cannot judge a book by its cover.

No comments: