Sunday, December 2, 2007

Outside Reading- Week 5- Post A

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Section 5: Pages 229- 274

2 Vocabulary Words

Latter (p. 239)- adj.
A) Being the second mentioned of two
B) More advanced in time; later
C) Near or comparatively near to the end
D) Last; final
Example from the book: “Judging by the look on his face- a mix of horrified and offended- I had a feeling it was probably the latter.”
My Example: While eating 3 slices of pie seems good at the time, the latter effect is that you gain a few pounds.

Dubious (p.241)- adj.
Fraught with uncertainty or doubt; undecided.
Example from the book: “He looked dubious, however, as he pushed quarters into the cashier station, and I had to wonder if my theory was about to be debunked.”
My Example: Although he believed the house of cards would stand up, I was quite dubious, expecting them to fall any second.

One emerging theme
One important theme in this book happens to be that one small event can change a person’s whole life as with Annabel’s rape and Whitney’s broken arm, which on the outside may not seem very significant, but in fact, both sisters act very differently due to these terrible events.

No comments: