Sunday, December 2, 2007

Outside Reading- Week 5- Post B

Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Section 5: Pages 229- 274

Reaction: In pages 263 through 265, the reader learns of a horrible event that occurred in Annabel’s past, although due to previous foreshadowing that the author wrote, it was expected. At an end-of-school school party the June of her sophomore year, Annabel was sexually assaulted. Although not fully raped by definition, the effect the attack had on Annabel was just as severe; she remained speechless for a few days and way too scared to ever discuss what happened. In our world today, it is so sad that awful events like this happen everyday. It makes me angry and sad just thinking about it. I cannot believe that someone can do that to someone else; how can they just attack someone and ruin that someone’s life and feel not guilt, but pleasure from what they had just done? It’s absolutely disgusting. It seriously ticks me off; I wish people could just stop being so selfish. Also, I cannot believe the strength it takes for the assaultees to live past the terrible actions thrown onto them, literally. I envy those people who can actually tell their story to the world, speak up, be heard. They have so much courage and self-confidence, it is as if nothing happened. I wish the world could be a better place where everyone could just learn to accept and respect each other. But since I am dubious that my wish will ever come true, I guess we must live in fear everyday of those selfish people who do not choose to be accepting and respectful.

No comments: